Kale - A genuine superfood
There are over 50 varieties of kale and like broccoli, cauliflower and collards, kale is a descendent of the wild cabbage and has been around since ancient Roman times.
Health research on kale is providing evidence that its glucosinolates provide cancer-preventive benefits. Once digested, these glucosinolates can be converted by the body into cancer preventive compounds.
Kale's cancer preventive benefits stem from its unusual concentration of two types of antioxidants - carotenoids and flavonoids.
While it can be boiled, sautéed or bakes, the cholesterol-lowering ability of raw kale improves significantly when it is steamed.
Just 1 cup of kale:
- contains only 33 calories
- is high in fiber (helps manage blood sugar and makes you feel full)
- contains 3g of protein - all 9 essential amino acids
- contains vitamins A, C, K and calcium
- contains Folate (a B vitamin that’s key for brain development)
- contains Lutein and zeaxanthin - nutrients that protect against macular degeneration and cataracts
- contains Alpha-linolenic acid - an omega-3 fatty acid
- contains minerals including phosphorus,potassium, calcium, and zinc
#kale #superfood #vitamins #calories #protein #vegetable #collards #commercialkitchenoakland